Twersky Named Littauer Prof. Of Hebraic Studies

Isadore Twersky '51, associate professor of Hebrew and Jewish History, has been named the Nathan Littauer Professor of Hebrew Literature and Philosophy, he will fill the chair vacant for seven years, which was previously held by his former teacher, Harry A. Wolfson '12.

In an interview yesterday, Twersky said that he was more than honored by the appointment and would consider it as a personal challenge. Reminiscing about his predecessor and teacher, he said, "He is certainly one of the giants of humanistic scholarship of this century."

He said he believes that Jewish Studies be a necessary part of humanistic learning, but noted that they have been ignored to the past But until 1925, he added. When Harvard established the Littauer air, there were no professorships for wish Studies in the U.S.

Twersky, who is 34, is the author of an of Posquleres: A 12th Century Talmudist published in 1962 by the Harvard University Press, and of Judaism and University History to be published this year Prentice-Hall. At the present he is beginning a volume entitled A Study of Maimonides which will be published by Yale University Press as the introductory volume for Maimonides' translation of Mishah Torah.

Twersky became a student of Wolfson an undergraduate at Harvard where he earned the A.B. (1952), A.M. (1952), and PhD (1956) degrees. Since 1956 he has taught Hebrew literature and Jewish History at Harvard, and in 1962 he was appointed an associate professor.