Most Ivy Teams to Face Pushovers

Elis Could Lose

By R.andrew Beyer

All eight Ivy football teams venture into the Real World this afternoon, and the improved caliber of the League should be amply demonstrated by their performances. After picking the White Sox in the American League, Princeton in the NCAA's, and Swift Ruler in the Kentucky Derby during the last year, we shall strive for self-redemption here:

Cornell is the most underrated team in the Ivy League, but with a devastating ground game, a rock-ribbed defense, and a year of experience with the two-platoon system, they could be the team to beat. Last year the Big Red lost to Colgate whose defensive unit, which yielded only seven touchdowns in 1964, is still largely intact. Last week Colgate bombed Lafayette, 40 to 0. Oddsmakers have listed Cornell as a two-point favorite, and this should be a close one. But if Cornell wins big, watch out!

Dartmouth 48 New Hampshire 0

The Indians massacred New Hampshire last year, 40-0, and today's game won't be much different. Dartmouth's fleet backfield, led by quarterback Mickey Beard, should have little difficulty running over, Wildcat defense. The score can be as under, around, and through the porous big as Dartmouth Coach Bob Blackman wants to make it, and anyone who was in Harvard Stadium on October 24, 1964, knows the extent of Blackman's compassion.

Princeton 10 Rutgers 0

Cosmo Iacavazzi is gone, but Princeton is still going to be one or the toughest teams in the Ivy League this fall. A single-wing offense needs a runner of Iacavazzi's caliber to function well, and Princeton won't score as many touchdowns this year. But the 1964 Tigers went unbeaten because of their fine defense, which posted four straight shutouts and gave up only eight touchdowns all year. That defense is as tough as ever with All-American candidate Stas Maliszewski returning at tackle and Paul Savidge at guard. Rutgers compiled a 6-3 record last year, but the Scarlet Knights are having quarterback problems, and probably their offense will not function smoothly enough to score against Princeton.

Brown 28 Rhode Island 6

Down in Providence fans are very "high" on this year's Brown team, and most of their optimism is generated by the presence of Bob Hall at quarterback. His passing should be enough to devastate Rhode Island's weak defense.

Columbia 35 Lafayette 13

Even without Archie Roberts, Columbia should have little difficulty clobbering Lafayette. The Lions have 19 returning lettermen and Buff Donelli says this is the most experienced team he's had in years. Columbia still won't be able to win many games in Ivy circles, but Lafayette (a 40-0 victim to Colgate last week) is relying too heavily on sophomores to be much of a danger this early in the season.

Penn 21 Lehigh 16

This battle of the have-nots is the most inscrutable game of the week involving an Ivy team. Lehigh has only 12 lettermen returning, has won two games in the last two years, and has beaten the Quakers only twice in 32 meetings. Penn has had five straight losing seasons, and may have trouble adjusting to the T-formation. But the Quakers have the largest group of returning lettermen in the League, headed by All-Ivy fullback Bruce Molloy. Experience plus Molloy's running and kicking ability should equal a narrow victory.

Connecticut 21 Yale 20

Here's our upset special for the week. Never in history has Connecticut beaten Yale. But the Huskies have seven starters returning from a team which compiled a 4-4-1 record last season, and they would like nothing better than to beat the Elis. Yale looks like an also-ran in the Ivy League this season, but UConn will have to contain Eli halfbacks Jim Howard and Jim Groninger to spring an upset.

Dartmouth 48 New Hampshire 0

Princeton 10 Rutgers 0

Brown 28 Rhode Island 6

Columbia 35 Lafayette 13

Penn 21 Lehigh 16

Connecticut 21 Yale 20