Cornell, Columbia Defeat Quintet

By R. ANDREW Beyer

Harvard's basketball team learned this weekend that it isn't hopelessly outclassed by the better Ivy teams, but the Crimson nonetheless dropped its first two League contests to Columbia and Cornell.

On Friday night Harvard bowed to Cornell, 96 to 80, and on Saturday lost to Columbia, 75 to 73.

The Crimson's loss to Cornell was particularly depressing. Throughout the first half, Harvard played on even terms with the Big Red, and even led by four points late in the half. Both teams were hitting better than 50 per cent of their shots, and at halftime the Crimson trailed by only 43-45.

But is the second half Harvard lost its composure completely. In a seven minute span Gene Dressler twice missed five-foot jump shots on the fast breaks. Barry Williams and Charlie McGonaugie threw the ball away, and John Scott was called for travelling. As Cornell moved ten points ahead, Harvard started passing the ball around like a hot potato. Nobody wanted to shoot, and the Crimson passed up good shots. With 10:20 to play Cornell led, 70 to 57, and Harvard threatened again.

Keith Sedlacek was Harvard's leading scorer with 24 points, Gene Dressier had 17 and John Scott 14. But the Crimson's outstanding player was Barry Williams, who turned in a magnificent, bustling performance on defense.

Harvard's loss to Columbia wasn't as close as the score suggested. After a close first half, the Lions pulled ahead by ten points with four minutes left. The Crimson made a dramatic last-minute surge, but never really menaced the Lions' lead.

The game was a simple case of a good big man boating a good little man. The Lions' leading scorer was seven-foot center Dave Newmark, who was seven inches taller than Harvard's biggest player.

Newmark collected his third personal foul after eleven minutes of play, and left the game. Harvard quickly took a 25-24 lead. But 6-5 forward John Dema began to outmaneuver Crimson defenders underneath the basket, scored 12 points in the half, and gave Columbia a 39-24 halftime lead.

Harvard's shooting had been fairly cold throughout the game, and when Newmark returned in the second half he made mincemeat of the Crimson. With 17 minutes left Harvard led, 44 to 42. Then Newmark scored 12 points in eight shots, and propelled the Lions to a 65-54 advantage.

Newmark had 21 points overall; Sedlacek and Dressler were Harvard's scoring leaders with 19 points apiece.