Garmezy to Head Clinical Program

By George R. Merriam

Norman Garmezy, one of the world's leading experts on schizophrenia, will become the head of Harvard's graduate program in Clinical Psychology next fall.

He will replace David C. McClelland, who is presently serving double-duty as chairman of the Department of Social Relations and director of its clinical program. McClelland was directing the clinical program when he was appointed chairman in 1962. Since then the Soe Rel Department has been looking for "the best man for the job," McClelland said.

Garmezy now heads the Center for Personality Research at the University of Minnesota. In the past, he has directed work in psychological treatment at Duke University and at the National Institute of Mental Health's training center in Washington. While at NIMH, he received a lifelong Research Career Award to subsidize his investigations.

His research has focused on producing a detailed understanding of the schizophrenic's problems: his difficulty in learning, his acute sensitivity to criticism, and his colored perception of the world.

Garmezy has not yet announced any plans to change the five-year Clinical program. He will be coming to Harvard early in November to become further acquainted with details of the present system.