City Manager Talks Cambridge Emergency Shelter, Discourages Street Closures in Council Meeting

On Leave Due to COVID-19 Concerns, Forty-Three Harvard Dining Workers Risk Going Without Pay

Harvard Prohibits Non-Essential University Travel Until May 31, International Travel Cancelled Until August 31

Ivy League Will Not Allow Athletes to Compete as Grad Students Despite Shortened Spring Season

‘There’s No Playbook’: Massachusetts Political Campaigns Navigate a New Coronavirus Reality

Mayor Cavanaugh Arrives For 3-Day Institute Visit

Detroit Mayor Jerome Cavanaugh, the Kennedy Institute's third honorary associate, arrived in Cambridge yesterday to begin three days of conferences with students and faculty.

Cavanaugh said on arrival at a Dunster House dinner last night that "the greatest value" of his visit was the opportunity for a "fresh exchange of either problems or ideas between those charged with governmental responsibility and those who do the thinking about it." He added that he was looking for "some help" from the undergraduates and professors whom he meets.

The Institute has revised its system of selecting student participants for Cavanaugh's conferences. Students were selected entirely at random to meet with the Institute's first two honorary associates, Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara and House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford (R-Mich.).

This time, some undergraduates have been appointed to meet with Cavanaugh because they are specially qualified in urban affairs, Sanford V. Levinson, tutor in government, said yesterday.

First, the Allston Burr Senior Tutors and the head tutors in Government, Economics, Social Relations and History chose fifteen specially qualified students to dine with Cavanaugh last night at Dunster House and twenty-five more to meet at Dudley House on Tuesday afternoon.

Secondly, the Institute asked the "counter-seminar" to Gov. 146 to meet with Cavanaugh this afternoon at 3:45. The counter-seminar was organized this fall by about 40 undergraduates and graduates to question the treatment or urban problems of Edward C. Banfield, Henry Lee Shattuck Professor of Urban Government and lecturer in the course.

Cavanaugh's agenda begins with a 10 a.m. discussion of urban politics with students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and the John F. Kennedy School of Government.