Law School to Allow Ph.D. Work in GSAS

By Marvin E. Milbauer

Harvard graduate students will be able to combine study towards a law degree and a Ph.D. in government under a program to be implemented next year.

Under the program, students at the Law School will cross-register at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. By taking elective courses in government and law which count towards both degree requirements, these students will be able to reduce the total amount of time necessary to earn the two degrees.

Although it has always been possible to cross-register, this is the first time that the procedure has been officially organized, Arthur A. Maass, chairman of the Government Department, explained yesterday.

Under the plan, law students will be allowed to apply to the Government Department at the end of their first year. If accepted, they would use their electives in the next two years to help prepare for the general examinations in government.

After graduation from Law School, they would apply for formal admission to the GSAS with credit for the courses they had already taken. According to Maass, the students would probably have to spend one year in the GSAS further preparing for generals.

Should Take 5-6 Years

Ordinarily, the Ph.D. program requires two years of preparation for generals and a total of five to six years before the degree is awarded. Maass estimated that the new plan will allow students to earn both degrees in five to six years.

Arthur E. Sutherland, Bussey Professor of Law, who is in charge of the program at the Law School, explained that it is designed for law students who are interested in careers in such fields as diplomacy, public administration, or college teaching, where both degrees would be useful.

He noted that an increasing number of law students are planning careers outside of law. According to Maass, a means of combining study in government and law has been under discusion for some time, and several students have already expressed interest in the program for next year.