New Admissions Head, Vice Dean To Succeed Toepfer at Law School

By Marvin E. Milbauer

Russell A. Simpson, assistant dean of the Law School, and Joseph E. Leininger, secretary of international legal studies, have been named to fill the vacancies created by the departure of Louis A. Toepfer, vice dean of the Law School and director of admissions.

Simpson will become director of admissions in July, when Toepfer leaves to become dean of the law school at Western Reserve University. Leininger will take over Toepfer's other administrative duties as the new vice dean.

The decision to establish a new full-time position as director of admissions was necessitated by the increasing size of the admissions operation. Simpson said yesterday. He noted that the number of applicants to the Law School has almost doubled since 1960.

Despite the increase in applications, Simpson does not forsee any major changes in the admissions system. The "rolling admissions" policy, under which students are notified of decisions as they apply, rather than on one date, Simpson said, is "difficult, but we feel we ought to pass upon applications as soon as possible, and we will try to continue it."

Simpson hopes, however, to introduce machines which will tabulate statistics on applicants, and on the performance of students at the Law School. It may also be necessary, he said yesterday, to increase the size of the admissions staff.

At present, Simpson is working with Toepfer in admissions. He worked part-time as an aide in the admissions office before his graduation from the Law School last June, and until his appointment as assistant dean several weeks ago, was practicing law in Texas.

In a further reshuffling of administrative positions, William L. Bruce '46, assistant dean of the Law School, has been named to succeed Russell H. Peck '43 as secretary of the Law School. Peck left to become clerk of the United States District Court in Boston.