Harvard Crushes Lafayette, 30-7, As New Crimson Offense Sparkles

By Boisfeuillet Jones

There were only thirteen thousand fans there to see it, but Harvard's football team achieved in the opening game Saturday what it could not accomplish through the whole season last year: two touchdowns through the air.

Actually, Harvard completed only four of 14 passes on the way to a 30-7 victory over Lafayette amidst a gusty 25 mile-per-hour wind, but junior quarterback Ric Zimmerman demonstrated that the new Crimson offense has some spark and magination which Harvard people haven't seen in a long time.

For a quarterback with almost no varsity experience and only two previous pass attempts, Zimmerman had astonishing confidence and poise. After Harvard's initial drive trickled dead at the Lafayette 45-yard line, the Leopards' obligingly fumbled on their own 30-yard mark. Zimmerman then dropped back on first down (yup, first down) and plunked the ball cleanly into end Carter Lord's waiting arms for a touchdown with only six minutes gone in the game.

It was not until less than two minutes remained in the fourth quarter that Harvard again scored through the air when back-up quarterback John Shevlin connected with halfback Will Stargel for a 15-yard score.

In the meantime, Harvard picked up two touchdowns, 17 first downs, and 337 yards--all on the ground. For the first time in quite a while, Harvard's offensive line outshone the Crimson defensive line, and there were plenty of Crimson runners to plunge through the gaping holes.

Backs Shine

Halfback Bobby Leo even outdid his opening performance against Holy Cross last year by picking up 132 yards in 14 attempts, for a 9.5 average per carry. Fellow halfback Vic Gatto wasn't far behind with 109 yards in 13 carries, (not counting a touchdown run called back because of a penalty), and fullback Tom Choquette gained 57 yards in 10 attempts.

Choquette, who turned in a host of bruising blocks as well as some driving ball-carrying, deserves at least as much credit as the speedy halfbacks for making Harvard's offense click. "When Choquette goes, our offense goes," beamed Coach John Yovicsin after the game.

On the line, where it really counts, end Joe Cook contributed a great deal more than a circus catch of a desperation Zimmerman delivery. The tackles, Bob Brooks and Steve Diamond, were the stalwarts of the line, however. Guards Al Bersin and Bob Flangan and center Joe O'Donnell, all newcomers, handled their outweighed Lafayette counterparts on the line well.

Defense Weak

It was on the defensive line where Harvard had some problems. After the first Harvard touchdown, Lafayette's offense, though outweighed by 20 pounds per man on the line, marched 75 yards to pay dirt in 14 plays--all but 11 yards coming on the ground.

Using an I formation with an unbal- anced line to the right, Lafayette quarterback Gary Marshall and tailback Richard Craw swept to the right for grequent gains. Harvard later overshifted its defense to halt the sweep, but it was distressing to see Marshall elect to carry the ball on long third-down situations (and make yeardage) rather than take to the air in his customary fashion.

Admittedly, Harvard has the type of defense which will yield the short yardage to prevent the long one, but the Crimson pursuit on the line was less than quick, and the defensive ends were invariably being wiped out by the first two blockers leading the play. Big Dave Davis, though not expected to play, joined Skip Sviokla at tackle to put occasional pressure on Marshall.

Linebackers Matt Donelan and Don Chiofaro did their darndest to fill the gaps, and overworked cornerback Bill Cobb moved in tighter after the Lafayette touchdown.

The brightest spot on the defense was the performance by Harvard's two inexperienced but quick safeties, Bill Tyson and Tom Williamson. This fellow Marshall had thrown eight long touchdown passes in the last 41/2 games last year, but Saturday he could muster only 120 yards and no touchdowns. He also had two passes intercepted, one by Tyson on the goal line to halt a Lafayette drive.

End Maury Dullea, who kicked three extra points, looks sharper than last season already. Punter Jim Gahan punted for a 32-yard average, but it will take more than two punts and a windy day to test his colors.

Sadly, Harvard's defense will not get a needed test this Saturday, either. The Crimson will host Tufts, 47-8 losers to Ithaca last Saturday.Halfback BOBBY LEO is stopped at the three-yard line of Lafayette in last Saturday's game. Leo wasn't stopped often, as he picked up 132 yards in 14 carries.