Doctors Organize Vietnam Protest

More than 300 doctors, interns, and medical students held a one hour silent vigil yesterday protesting the diversion of funds from vital U.S. health programs for the Vietnam War.

The group chose to gather at the Boston City Hospital "as a reminder of the domestic needs which have been overshadowed by the war," a handout sheet stated.

The demonstrators were also protesting the widespread death and destruction to civilian populations in North and South Vietnam, and the injury to children by napalm bombing.

Cease Bombing

The demonstrators defined their position against the Administration's policy in Vietnam, calling for adoption of U Thant's proposal for cessation of bombing in North Vietnam, de-escalation of U.S. military activity, and negotiations with all parties including the Viet Cong.

The Boston vigil was part of a nation wide protest coordinated by Henry S. Kahn '64, a third year Harvard Medical student.

Kahn said similar vigils took place in San Francisco, Detroit, Chicago, Washington, and New York. Demonstrations and teach-ins have also been planned in Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburg, and Los Angeles.

The Boston organization, and ad hoc committee of Medical Professionals for Peace in Vietnam, consist of approximately 50 students, interns, residents from local hospitals, dentists, social workers, nurses, faculty members from Boston medical schools, and other health workers. Kahn explained ten of the committee members are affiliated with Harvard