Cliffies Will Have New House by 1970

Building Should Start in Summer

By Marcia B. Kline

Radcliffe will begin construction of all the remaining units of its new house this summer, and hopes to have them ready for occupation by 320 students in the fall of 1970, College officials announced yesterday.

Cliffies were invited to Hilles Library yesterday to see slides of a three dimensional architect's model of the new house, and they saw a $6 million complex consisting of three new five story dwelling units, and a two story central dining hall, lounge, and recreation area.

The house complex, which will occupy all the space in the Radcliffe Quadrangle between Garden and Linnaean Streets, is part of Radcliffe's $10 million long range plan of renovation and building. Ultimately, the college hopes to be able to offer a single room to every student who wishes one, and also to have adequate space and facilities for a resident tutorial program.

Off-Campus Housing

But, assured Mrs. S.C. Bullitt, who showed yesterday's slides, the new house will not mean the end of off-campus housing. When Warner and Edmands Houses are torn down this summer to make room for the construction, their students will be moved into other off-campus housing. And when the new house is finished, there will still almost surely be the option for non-college housing (i.e. private apartments) for some seniors, she added. Mrs. Bullitt is Special Assistant to Mrs. Bunting for Remodeling.

As now planned, the three new dwelling units will form, along with the already constructed Mabel Daniels Hall, four low towers around the dining and recreation building.

Within the area defined by these same four units there will also be two large courtyards to give light to the lower floor of the buildings--like Hilles Library, the new complex wil be on an lower floors are below ground level to ower floors are below ground level to prevent the buildings from dwarfing Radcliffe's older, smaller dorms.

Key features of the model shown yesterday include:

* 26 two-room suites for upperclassmen, to be scattered equally throughout the three new dorm unis. These will have full baths and kitchenettes.

* A dining room for the entire house, on the lowest level, which will look onto a central courtyard, as well as the two outer ones. Next to the dining room there will be a grill room, open during non-dining room hours.

* A lounge, to seat up to 250 people for house activities, adjacent to the dining hall.

* Connecting passages between all buildings, on the lowest levels.

* Suites for 20 resident tutors, for dormitory residents, and office space for non-resident tutors.

* Space within the complex for an art studio, music practice rooms, a dance studio, and a workshop ("for building stage sets or fixing bicycles").

* Living rooms, kitchens, laundry and ironing rooms, terraces, balconies and even solariums scattered on all floors of the dorm units.

The renovation plans for the older dorms, Mrs. Bullitt said, will not be held up for the new construction, but will go along with it. Eventually, she added, the College plans that all the facilities it builds into the new house will be incorporated into the older ones.