Brown Freshmen Clobbered, 6 to 0, By Hockey Squad

By Gerald M. Rosberg

Harvard's freshman hockey team demolished Brown 6-0 Saturday for its fifth straight win of the season.

Defenseman Dave Jones led the Crimson in scoring with two goals early in the second period. Jones slapped in his first from the blue-line. A minute later with Brown shorthanded he put the puck past Brown goalie, Wayne Tracy, from the identical spot.

Harvard's first goal came just 49 seconds into the first period when Steve Owen scored with assists from Joe Cavanagh and Dan DeMichele. Cavanagh scored the Crimson's final goal just two minutes before the end of the game. After a pass from DeMichele, Cavanagh swept in all alone from the left side and slipped the puck into the Brown net.

Other Crimson goals were scored by Dave Opsahl, and Paul Sweeney.

After keeping the Bruins scoreless during the first two periods, Crimson goalie and captain Bruce Durno sat out the third period, while Ted Rumsey protected the shut-out. Durno and Rumsey stopped several difficult shots, but the Crimson's strong defensive play kept the pressure off throughout most of the game. On a power play halfway through the second period Brown repeatedly came close to scoring, but DeMichele's return from the penalty box marked the end of that drive.

The shut-out was the Crimson's second this year.