J.H. Parry Will Replace Constable As Master of 'Cliffe's North House

John H. Parry, acting Master of Dunster House this year, will move to Radcliffe next year and become the new Master of North House.

Parry, Gardiner Professor of Oceanic History and Affairs, will replace Giles Constable, Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History, who has been Master for the past three years. Constable will take a year-long sabatical next year.

Different Job

Parry's job next year will be different in at least one major respect from this year's. Radcliffe House Masters, unlike their Harvard colleagues, do not live in the Houses they serve.

Parry joined the Harvard Faculty only two years ago when he moved to Cambridge from the University of Wales, where he was vice-Chancellor from 1963 to 1965. Parry's first association with the University extends further back, however.

First Visit

In 1936-37, as a Ph.D. candidate from Cambridge, he came to Harvard as a Henry Fellow and lived a year in Eliot House. In 1954, he returned to Harvard as a visiting professor of History. These visits were punctuated by work at a number of other universities.

He was a Fellow at Clar College, Cambridge, in 1938, and after serving in the Navy during World War II, he returned there as a tutor and University Lecturer in History in 1949.

Helping Hand in Nigeria

Before going to the University of Wales, he was Professor of Modern History at the University of the West Indies (until 1954) and a Principal (until 1960) of the University of Ibadan, Nigeria, which he helped found. After 1960, he was also Principal of University College of Swansea.