Angiulo Indictment Gives Boston A Break in Gang-Busting Attempt

The first serious break for law enforcement authorities trying to end Boston's Gangland War came this week.

Last Tuesday the Suffolk County (Boston) Grand Jury indicated four men, one of them the alleged head of the local Cosa Nostra, on charge of conspiracy to murder Rocco DiSeglio in June, 1966.

DiSeglio, one of the 40-plus men murdered in gangland-style in Greater Boston since March, 1964, was a 26-year old former boxer when killed. He was shot five times in the head and his body left in a sports car in Topsfield. Police believe that DiSeglio, allegedly a minor underworld figure, was murdered in East Boston and his body transported to the rural North Shore town.

The Grand Jury charged Gennaro J. Angiulo, a dapper Boston real estate operator, and the man police say is the Cosa Nostra chief in this state, as being the one who ordered DiSeglio's slaying. The grim Grand Jury document charged that Angiulo did "incite, procure, aid counsel, and hire" three other men to assault, beat and kill DiSeglio,

The three other man named in the indictment, Richard F. DeVincent of Dorchester, Marino M. LePore of Reverse, and Bernard J. Zinna also of Reverse, were charged with first degree murder.

The indictments came after the Grand Jury testimony from Joseph (Barboza) Baron of Swampscott. Baron, incarcerated in Charles Street Prison on a gun-carrying charge, supposedly has a large amount of information on the gangland murders. Stymieing police authorities in the past has been the reluctance of knowledgeable witnesses to testify on the murders.

But Baron, supposedly angry at former underworld colleagues because of threats against relatives and friends, is willing to talk about the murders. Angiulo, because of the nature of the charge, is being held without bail. He faces a possible death sentence.