Ten-Run Tiger Third Inundates Cards, 13-1

By Mark R. Rasmuson

The Detroit Tigers, exploding for a record-tying ten runs in the third inning, routed the Cardinals, 13-1, yesterday and evened the Series up at 3-games-all The deciding seventh game will be played this afternoon in St. Louis.

Detroit, finally living up to its reputation for awesome plate power, unsheathed its bats in the top of the third. The Tigers sent 15 men to the plate to face four different and equally ineffective Cardinal pitchers and cracked out seven base hits, including Jim Northrup's grand-slam homer.

Not since the 1929 Series, when Philadelphia scored 10 runs against the Chicago Cubs, has a team had such an inning. Only Julian Javier's single, with two out and two on in the ninth, saved the Cards from the most lopsided shutout in Series history.

Detroit's highly-touted Denny McLain finally won a game, but the Tigers' batters stole most of McLain's thunder. It was Northup's 380-foot blast into the right-field stands off reliever Larry Jaster which burst the game open in the third.

Norm Cash and veteran Al Kaline both tied a Series record for most hits (two) in one inning, and Kaline, who went three-for-four and batted in four runs, belted his second homer of the Series in the fifth for the final Detroit run of the day.

Comic Third

The comic third inning started innocently enough, as second baseman Dick McAuliffe drew a walk from Card starter Ray Washburn, who had already allowed two runs in the inning before. Then the onslaught began.

Mickey Stanley singled to left, and Kaline cracked a single to center, scoring McAuliffe. Washburn headed for the showers. Reliever Jaster pitched to only three men--Norm Cash, who singled in Stanley, Willie Horton, who walked, and Northrup, who did his thing.

Then Ron Willis came in for the Cards. He promptly walked catcher Bill Freehan, hit Don Wert with a pitch, and finally got McLain on a sacrifice bunt. By then the Tigers had batted around.

McAuliffe, up for the second time, was walked intentionally to load the bases. But Kaline fouled things up for St. Louis by blasting his second hit of the inning, scoring two more runs.

9 and 10

Dick Hughes replaced Willis but did little better. Cash greeted him with a first-pitch single, scoring the ninth run of the inning, and Willie Horton drove in number 10 before Hughes finally forced Northrup to fly out.

In today's game, the Cards will send heretofore invincible Bob Gibson against Mickey Lolich, the most surprising player of this year's series. Gibson will have an advantage of one day's extra rest over Lolich, who won his second Series game last Monday.