Army Track Squad Topples Harvard, 89-64

Two Crimson Records Set In Losing Performances

By Glenn A. Padnick, (Special to the CRIMSON)

WEST POINT, N.Y., May 18--Harvard's track team lost its only dual meet of the season here today, falling to Army, 89-64, as the rain fell.

It was a disheartening day for the Crimson. Two University records were set--both in losing performances:

* Henry Bernson threw the javelin 231 feet, 2 inches, and still finished third. Bernson broke teammate Frank Champi's recent record of 224 feet, 6 inches, but Army's Jim Black finished at 237, 11 and Bob Wallis won it with an Army record of 245 feet, 5 inches.

* The mile relay team, in the day's final event, ran a 3.13.4, lowering the old record of 3.14.1, and yet lost to Army's 3.13.0.

Army grabbed first in two key middle-distance races. Its Tom Rabaut led Jeff Huvelle and Dave McKelvey with a 47.8 clocking in the 440, and the Black Knights' Greg Camp edged Trey Burns and Jim Baker in the 880 with a 1.49.5. Army also swept the 220 for nine quick points.

In the weights, Army didn't allow Harvard to gain an edge. Army finished one-two in the discus, and two-three in the shot put behind Dick Benka (57 feet, 11 3/4 inches).

In the field, there was an Army sweep of the triple jump and a one-two in the high jump. Steve Schoonover took the pole vault with 15 feet.

Bill Cobb returned to the track team from a tour of duty with the baseball team, and won the 100 yard dash with a 10.0 timing and ran the opening leg of a winning 440 relay. A sensational pass from Cobb to Bill Jewett gave Harvard a quick lead in that one.

There were no freshmen events here today to break up the varsity competition. As a result, Baker performed his now ritual triple in the half mile, mile, and two-mile, within the space of an hour. He took the mile in 4.06 and the two-mile in 9.14.1. Both events were Harvard sweeps. But they were not enough, as Harvard lost to its chief track rival on the banks of the Hudson.