Passing On A'Sigh for the Seventies

By John Leone

DIFFICULT days in the dry dock. Sigh and regalia, sigh and sigh sigh and television and sigh and catatonia and sigh and madness and sigh sigh and sigh and nothing at all.

Sigh for enzymes in the employ of detergents, sigh for the mad politicians and the maudlin rants sigh for the bands and the mascara on the suspicious eyes of young girls and sigh for knowledgeable people and sigh for the Congress sigh for the murdered sigh for the murderers sigh for the young lovers on the stand sigh for the comedians sigh for the poets sigh for the broken autos sigh for the sticks and clubs sigh for the rich sigh for the poor sigh for the desert and the ocean murmuring and empty sigh for an ancient sigh for the unwed mothers sigh for the artificial energy sigh for happiness for sadness sigh for sentimentality sigh for stoicism sigh to the stars of the invigorating horoscope sigh for the diffuse and for the single minded sigh for your gray hair sigh for your shampoo and your teenager with pimples sigh sigh sigh for your crabgrass sigh for the digests and magazines sigh for the fights sigh for the children sigh for the hell of it sigh for enthusiasm sigh for history sigh for the traffic sigh in bed on the toilet combing hair pressing pants walking dogs eating dinner reading books making love laughing crying explaining threatening proving sigh for it all because sigh is the bass note. Sigh for religion and sigh for the irreligious sigh for the relevant, sigh for death and life and sigh for a lack of spice and sigh for a lack of taste and sigh for too much ketchup and sigh for no more cigarettes sigh for biology sigh for bankers sigh for the good old days sigh for the future sigh with dispatch easily naturally inconspicuously oafishily amorally bitterly without emotion sigh on a diet sigh on a toot sigh in your undies sigh in your suit sigh at great concerts of geniuses sigh at baseball sigh at hunger and horror and fun but whatever you do don't let yourself be melancholy. Sigh.