Harvard's Cagers Want Lion Blood

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard basketball team will try to salvage a pinch of glory from a disappointing season in tonight's next-to-last home game against Columbia's powerful Lions.

Ten days ago, Harvard came within minutes of upsetting the Lions in New York. Harvard held a three-point lead with 2:15 remaining, but faltered in the stretch and lost by six.

Crimson coach Bob Harrison thinks his charges stand a good chance against Columbia, despite the contrast in season records: Harvard is 6-14 overall, Columbia 17-3.

Superstars

Harvard's fate may on its ability to contain Columbia's two superstars--6-5 All-American Jim McMillian and 6-4 Heyward Dotson. In the first game, these two combined for 50 points, McMillian hitting for 29 from the outside. Dotson rebounded strongly and executing inside cuts very well.

McMillian will again be Chris Gallagher's responsibility. It was a great disappointment for the "Rabbit" to lose last week's game in front of his hometown fans, and he has the extra incentive tonight of moving into eighth place on the all-time Harvard scoring list if he scores 15 points.

Gallagher is one of four seniors playing for the last weekend in the IAB. Captain Bob Kanuth, who has hobbled valiantly for two weeks on one foot--the other has a broken bone--provided the spark which kept Harvard in the Columbia game in New York. He has played remarkably consistent basketball for three years.

Breakaway Artist

Guard Eric Gustavson has had injury problems off and on all season. Gus' shooting has been hampered by a gash in his arm, but he's been instrumental in leading Harvard's fast break most of the year.

The fourth senior is reserve center Paul Waickowski. "Wake" came off the bench to help the Crimson past Brown earlier this year and has contributed a series of key rebounds and tip-ins.