Cagemen Triumph Over Big Red, 84-77, Explode for Sixteen Points in Overtime

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard basketball team blew a seven-point lead in the last two minutes of regulation play but exploded for 16 points in a five-minute overtime to upset Cornell, 84-77, at the IAB Saturday. It was Harvard's first victory over Cornell since 1963.

Harvard was down by five at halftime, mostly because the Big Red's Paul Frye sank nine straight 20-foot jump shots in the half.

But, for the first six minutes of the second half, Harvard outscored Cornell, 14-3, to pull into a 50-44 lead. Then, 6'5" junior Ernie Hardy drew his fourth foul and retired to the bench.

With less than two minutes to go, Dale Dover converted a one-and-one foul situation, putting Harvard on top, 67-60.

Buddy Witkowski netted a jumper for the Big Red; Gallagher got one of the points back on the first half of a one-and-one. Cornell's Jeff Lubbers made two clutch free throws to cut the lead to four, and then Witkowski stole a Harvard pass, drove for a layup, got fouled by Gustavson, and completed the three-point play.

Gallagher missed another free throw with 56 seconds left, and Janczewski committed his final foul on Bill Schwarzkopf. The 6'5" junior missed his first shot but made the second to tie the game.

Waickowski controlled the tip to start the overtime. Dover took the ball, and drove in for a go-ahead layup. A hanging jumper from the right by Gustavson upped the lead to four points.

Cornell refused to fold and took the lead at 75-74, on George Chapman's shot with 2:17 remaining. Dover's drive regained the lead but then Gallagher, Harvard's high scorer and rebounder for the night, fouled out.

Chapman missed his free throw, Harvard cleared quickly and sophomore Joe Stanislaw, in the game for Gallagher, passed to George Yates underneath for a layup. Frye missed a driving layup, Harvard got the ball and another sophomore, Jay Noble, drove the length of the court for a difficult layup from the right baseline.

Stanislaw's neat save along the defensive baseline set up Dover for an icing bucket to make it a seven-point margin with 22 seconds left. Harvard      Cornell Waickowski  7  Calderone  11 Gallagher  17  Otto  4 Hardy  13  Frye  23 Dover  15  Schwarzkopf  13 Gustavson  12  Esdaile  15 Janczewski  10  Witkoski  5 Noble  6  Chapman  3 Yates  4  Lubbers  3 Stanislaw  0   84    77