Stadium Meeting Votes to Strike, Backs Teaching Fellow Proposals

By Scott W. Jacobs and Sophie A. Krasik

A majority of the people gathered in Soliders' Field yesterday afternoon approved by a large voice vote all teaching fellow demands on the University and voted by a much narrower margin to continue the student strike for another three days.

The teaching fellow demands closely parallel all eight SDS demands--including abolition of ROTC--although an SDS meeting Sunday night declined to endorse the teaching fellow package.

The final strike vote ended a climactic impasse between students favoring a strike until the demands are met an others who supported different strike tactics or no strike at all. A vote recount of the vote on a strike until the demands are met showed that students were split by only 16 votes (2971 no--2955 yes).

At the beginning of the voting, however, it became clear that the people present at the meeting were united on a stand against the actions of the Corporation during last week.

As discussion of the six possible proposals submitted to the meeting neared an end, Alexander Korns, a teaching fellow in Economics, interrupted the meeting to move that "We repudiate the right of these seven men to close down our University. Korns referred to the Corporation announcement Sunday night that it might close down the University if violence occurred.

Lance C. Buhl, senior resident at Holmes Hall and chairman of the mass meeting, ruled the motion out of order, but shouts of "No, No" brought a vote to overrule the chair and substantially more that the required two-thirds majority agreed to consider the motion.

In dead silence, the clerk read off "This body repudiates the right of the Corporation to close down our University." When Buhl asked for approval, a loud "Yes" resounded through the Stadium and echoed back off the walls of Dillon Field House.

Building and Grounds estimated that 10,000-12,000 people jammed into the Stadium for the unprecedented four-hour meeting, but by the time the first individual vote count was taken, only 6000 people participated.