Paul Buck, Former Provost and History Professor, Plans to Retire

After 45 years at Harvard, Paul H. Buck, professor of History and former provost of the University, is retiring this Fall. He will become University Professor, emeritus.

During the 40's and 50's Buck led several important innovations at Harvard, including the establishment of the Soc Rel department combining the fields of sociology, social psychology, and social anthropology. He also served as chairman of the committee that developed the General Education program.

Buck served as provost from 1945 to 1953, a position later abolished. He was dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1942 to 1953 and director of the University Library from1942 to 1953 and director of the University Library from 1955 to 1964.

With regard to his future plans Buck said," I've got some writing I want to do." He will probably continue his study of the American Civil War. Buck won the Pulitzer Prize in history in 938 for The Road to Reunion, a study of Reconstruction.

Buck became librarian of Harvard College and director of the University Library in 1955. The Library added 1,400,000 volumes during his nine years as librarian.

When President Conant retired in 1953, he chaired the committee that assumed the president's duties. Harvard was then under attack from Senator McCarthy. Buck was later praised by Arthur M. Schlesinger Sr. as a defender "of the timeless values of freedom of teaching and learning" for his actions during that period.

A founder and director of the Center for Advanced Study in Behavioral Sciences, Buck has chaired its board of directors since 1960. He is also chairman of the Ford Foundation's Committee on the Role of Education in American History.

Buck was born in Columbus, Ohio in 1899. He graduated from Ohio State and later earned and A.M. there. He received a second A.M. and a Ph.d. from Harvard, in 1924 and 1935 He holds honorary degrees from Brown, Princeton, Tufts, and Harvard