Kilbridge Is Named Permanent Dean Of GSD by Pusey

President Pusey announced yesterday the appointment of Maurice D. Kilbridge, professor of Urban Systems, as Dean of the Graduate School of Design. Kilbridge has served as acting dean since July, when he replaced Jose Luis Sert.

Kilbridge is best known for his work in applying analytical techniques to urban systems. His course in Urban Analysis uses students playing roles in a urban system.

Last year Kilbridge served as a member of the Committee on the University and the City. He also served on the Business School's Committee on Disadvantaged Minorities.

The Design School has been the center of controversy in recent months as the Organization for Black Unity focused on the school's Gund Hall construction project as a site of alleged racist hiring practices by Harvard. OBU has demanded that 20 per cent of Harvard's work force be black or "third-world" workers.

At the ground-breaking this fall for Gund Hall, Kilbridge pledged the School's efforts to see that future generations "will not be deprived, but will have cities in which life is worth living, will know the glory and the freshness of the earth, and may hear the chant of nature."

Kilbridge has been a consultant to the Urban Coalition, the Urban Leadership Program of the Chamber of Commerce of the United States, and the Urban Analysis Corporation of Cambridge.

Two of his works are scheduled to be published later this year. Urban Analysis will be an application of analytical techniques to urban systems, and An Economic Analysis of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 is a study of the economic consequences of housing legislation, using computer models.

In addition to his work on city planning, Kilbridge has done research on the problems of developing nations. He published a study of prospects for productive use of nuclear energy in Pakistan in 1958 after serving on an advisory mission to that country. Later he served as assistant director of the U. S. AID mission to India. He is also a consultant to Harvard's Development Advisory Service, and to the United Nation's Industrial Development Organization.