Angela Davis Arrested in N. Y.; Was On Ten Most Wanted List

By The ASSOCIATED Press

WASHINGTON-The FBI announced Tuesday night the arrest of Angela Yvonne Davis, the former U. C. L. A. philosophy instructor sought in connection with an attempted California jailbreak in which a judge and two convicts were killed.

FBI director J. Edgar Hoover announced that Davis was taken into custody in a New York motel early last evening.

The announcement said Davis was wearing a dark jacket and skirt and a shorthaired wig. She was unarmed and offered no resistance.

Most Wanted

Davis was added on Aug. 18 to the FBI's list of Ten Most Wanted Fugitives. She has been accused of buying guns used in the attempt on Aug. 7 to free three San Quentin convicts undergoing trial in San Rafael, Calif.

She has been charged with unlawful flight to avoid prosecution on state charges of murder and kidnapping.

Superior Court Judge Harold J. Haley, two of the convicts and the man who brought the weapon into the courtroom, Jonathan Jackson, were killed in a shootout.

Davis was an undergraduate student at Brandeis University. She studied there under Henbert Marcuse and later followed him to the University of California at San Diego.

After her graduate work at U. C. S. D. she went to U. C. L. A. as an assistant professor in philosophy.

Last year her teaching contract was not renewed-Davis calls herself a Communist-but she stayed on at U. C. L. A. in an informal teaching capacity. Her contract at this time was paid by various students and groups.