Iroquois Club Gets Racist Statement From Southern Congressman's Office

One of Harvard's final clubs received a racist appeal from a member of the House of Representatives in the mail on Wednesday.

John R. Rarick (D. La.) stated in a release from his Washington office, mailed to the Iroquois Club, that the only workable solution to the race situation lies in "separate and equal facilities."

"Anything else," he said, "is destructive of education, suppressive of freedom, and just downright cruelty." Even the atom bomb is of "minor destructive force" in comparison with the growing national problem of "forced integration."

For over 190 years the Constitution allowed our society separate facilities "where so desired. During those 190 years, we had no record of unrest, violence, or animosity among the races," the letter said.

Rarick went on accuse the college professors, involved in a recent HEW report on racial integration, with "lacking the courage of their convictions." He claimed that these professors "favor further disorders rather than stable classroom conditions."

As a "law and order" candidate running unopposed in the coming election, Rarick finds the solution to society's problems in "local and state control."

According to Rarick's private secretary, this press release was sent to the club's address in response to a direct request from the mother of a former club member.

Trying to clarify Rarick's views, she said, "You northerners just don't understand. Most Blacks don't want to go to school." For those who do, she added, there are "equal educational opportunities" available.

She attributed all the violence prevalent in today's society to the "forced integration" imposed by the central government.

Even the recent Harvard bombing, she said, is definitely related to this problem of "forced integration."