Pusey 6th Ivy Head To Quit Post Lately

By Reay H. Brown

President Pussy is the sixth Ivy-League college president to quit his position during the last two years.

The presidents of Brown. Cornell, and Columbia all resigned less than two months after serious student protests erupted on their campuses. Only Brown has not found a replacement.

Dartmouth and Pennsylvania also have changed presidents during the last two years.

Three hundred students sat in at aBrown Corporation meeting last April to protest a secret letter in which President Raymond Heffner had assured the U.S. Department of Defense that Brown would allow the Reserve Officer Training Corps to remain on campus.

Heffner, who also drew sharp criticism for not consulting the faculty before writing the letter, resigned the following month.

"I do not enjoy being a university president," he said "and I do not feel that in the long run I can make my biggest contribution to higher education in that role."

Separate student, faculty, and administrative committees are working together to select a new president. Heffner, who is in his late forties, had served only three years.

One hundred twenty black students-many carrying guns-seized Cornell's student union last April, protesting "racism."

The blacks left the building only after President James A. Perkins-who had been in office six years-promised to recommend to the faculty that the university agree to many of their demands and not punish anyone involved in the protest.

Perkins, who was under attack from all sides for his stand, resigned in May.

The Cornell Board of Trustees surveyed students over the summer about possible choices for president. In September it selected Cornell Provost Dale R. Corson as Perkin's successor.

Columbia President Grayson Kirk resigned in June 1968-two months after that university's famous disruption.

Kirk, who at 67 was five years away from Columbia's mandatory retirement age, said he was resigning because his personality was not suited to the job.

A combined student-faculty-trustee committee selected William McGill. former Chancellor of the University of San Diego, as Columbia's new president.