Faculty to Vote Today On Rights Resolution And Four Amendments

By J. W. Stillman

The Faculty will vote on the Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities and at least four proposed amendments in a special meeting today, nearly a year after the University Hall takeover which prompted the resolution.

The Committee of Fifteen made final revisions on its disciplinary recommendations late yesterday. While the Resolution on Rights and Responsibilities will be considered today, the procedures for enforcing the resolution will not be voted on until another special Faculty meeting on April 7.

Roger Rosenblatt, assistant professor of English and a member of the Committee of Fifteen, said yesterday that the fate of the resolution will depend mostly on the mood of the Faculty.

He said that there it "a good deal of concern" within the Faculty about the fourth paragraph-which deals with the responsibilities of "officers of administration and instruction."

Three of the four proposed amendments deal with this paragraph.

Arthur Maass, Frank G. Thomas Professor of Government, wants to add to the list of responsibilities of University officers the specification-"but nothing in this paragraph should be interpreted as condoning any violation of the rights of members of the academic community given in the third paragraph of this resolution."

Freedom

The third paragraph establishes "freedom of speech and academic freedom, freedom from personal force and violence, and freedom of movement" as the rights of all members of the University.

"Students could read the fourth paragraph and accuse Faculty members of insensitivity to widely-felt needs for change, using this as a justification for violating parts of the previous paragraph. I feel this is a needed clarification and so do several of my colleagues," Maass said last week.