Harvard Reduces Parking Fee Hike

By William R. Galeota

Parking fees for Harvard Faculty and students will increase next year, but not as sharply as announced several months ago.

Under a fee schedule announced Friday, a resident student will pay $70 a year to park his car in a Harvard lot next year, up from $40 this year. For the first time, Faculty members will also pay to park. Tenured Faculty members will pay $60 and non-tenured, $50.

Those fees represent a partial retreat from the increase Harvard planners proposed in February. Under the earlier schedule, the student parking fee would have been $150, and the fee for Faculty $90.

Flak

Complaints from Faculty members over the earlier schedule prompted the downward revision of the fees. "There was a lot of flak," admitted University Parking Manager James T. Sullivan '36.

Parking fees are still expected to continue to rise in coming years, however. Under a policy approved by the Council of Deans, individual fees will pay for capital expenditures on parking facilities, while University depart and maintenance costs.

Harvard Expansion

Capital expenditures-and along with them parking fees-will be going upsteeply during the next five years, as Harvard expands its parking facilities mental budgets will pay for operating by 50 per cent some 2000 spaces-in order to meet local zoning requirements. The new spaces will be contained in a series of multi-level garages scattered around the University.

In all the costs of financing and maintaining Harvard's parking facilities will rise from some $570,000 next year to $1.4 million in 1974-75.

The parking policy adopted by the Deans also has several other features:

"A get tough, no-fix ticket operation will be put into operation" to catch individuals parking illegally in University lots.

Several University lots will have parking meters; Harvard personnel will be able to park in those lots on payment of a $10 annual registration fee.

University personnel living near Harvard will be able to park at night until 7:30 a.m. in University garages for a $40 per year fee.