Harris Campaigns as "New Populist"

By Patti B. Saris

Senator Fred R. Harris (D-Okla.), the second Democrat to announce his candidacy for president, called for a "better distribution of income, a better distribution of power and a return to idealism in foreign policy" in his speech before the Harvard Law Forum last night.

In his first speech since he announced his candidacy last Friday, the 40-year old senator told a sympathetic crowd at Sanders Theatre he would campaign under the theme of "New Populism" in America.

"It is a hallmark of the American political system that people think it makes no difference what politician is elected: most people think nothing can be changed by the political process," he drawled in an Oklahoman accent.

"I hope to build a new popular coalition to bring about fundamental change and create a redistribution of income. Together we can move the country, and 1972 is the year to do this," he said.

Harris enumerated many "legitimate complaints" which he felt the present system is not taking care of: adequate medical care, full employment, the lonliness of old people, the problems of the poor and minority groups."

Stressing his belief in the "free enterprise system," Harris said, "I still do not support socialism. As we have seen the government has not done too well in the ownership of the State Department. The new socialism--the socialism of the right which has bailed out Lockheed and Penn central--redistributes income to the rich and super rich."

Harris did, however, support legislation for the wage price review board which would allow "intervention of the government where market pressures do not work," as well as the minimum income and socialized medicine.

Harris called his plea for a "return to idealism as the basis of foreign policy" as the "most radical" part of his campaign.

Idealism in foreign policy cannot be a hard and fast rule," Harris said in an interview after the speech. "Military aid depends on what is needed for out survival and vital interests. But our clear-cut policies can change."

"We must stop economic and military aid to countries like greece, Pakistan and Brazil and especially the Thieu regime as long as it continues to prevent elections," he added.

Asked to differentiate his candidacy from that of Senator George McGovern (D-S. Dak.)--the other announced Democratic presidency candidate--Harris said, "Senator McGovern does not talk about the redistribution of income or inordinate concentration of economic.

"I think it is a healthy thing that there are so many candidates," Harris added. "I believe in democracy and with many candidates there is the widest possible choice in the convention."

Harris will go to New Hampshire on October 5 to assess his chances in that state's primary.

Following his speech--which received a standing ovation--Harris was interviewed for a program which will be played 6:30 p.m., Sunday, on WHRB. He discussed various issues, including the coming election, busing, and Federal funding programs.

In that interview, Harris, countering charges that he could not be re-elected in his native state, claimed that a recent survey suggested he could indeed take that state in a senatorial race.

A senator for seven years, Harris was a member of the President's National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders (the Koerner Commission), co-chairman of the Humphrey-Muskie campaign in 1968, and Chairman of the Democratic National Committee in 1969