Women Continue Work Towards Center

By Katharine L. Day

A group of about 40 women who were active in the occupied Women's Center at 888 Memorial Drive met last night in Boston to consider the results of their search for a new center.

Since the occupation, the women have met several times and created committees to work on fund-raising and on finding a location for a center. So far, donations, most of which have been anonymous, total over $7500.

More Than 50 Sites

The women looking for a house have considered more than 50 possible sites and have narrowed the choices to three-one in Jamaica Plain and two others within 20 minutes of Harvard Square. Each of the houses would cost about $35,000.

The main considerations are ample meeting space, accessibility of the center, and type of neighborhood. None of the three proposed sites drew unanimous approval and the women decided to continue their search for an adequate facility. The women's center will house activities including child-care, self-defense and auto mechanics courses.

Meanwhile, the women are actively seeking donations for their Center and are in the process of incorporating as the "Women's Educational Center, Inc.," a non-profit educational institution under the laws of Massachusetts.

As of last night, no legal action had been taken against the women who occupied the building at 888 Memorial Drive. By the time they left the building en masse over two weeks ago, a police photographer had accumulated pictures of every woman as she entered and left the building.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counselor to the University, said yesterday that "Harvard's efforts have been set back because of the events last Friday [at the Counter Teach-In]," Steiner said that many of the people involved with the women's center were also involved in last Friday's demonstration.