'Phoenix' Publishers Threaten Its Survival

By Katharine L. Day

The Phoenix, published weekly in Boston since 1969, is in danger of folding. Both publishers resigned in separate actions last week, withdrawing financial support.

The paper's future depends upon whether one of the publishers-millionaire backer Richard H. Missner or Ray Riepen, part-owner of Radio Station WBCN-manages to buy the other out. Most of the staff has pledged to resign unless Missner gains full control.

The two partners have equal voting stock in The Phoenix, although Missner has contributed most of the money since they took over last April. "I expect that Missner will buy Riepen out,possibly by the end of the week," Editor Harper Barnes said yesterday. "If that happens, The Phoenix will survive."

Staff members worked without pay to put out this week's edition, which went on sale Tuesday. The Phoenix will publish a trimmed-down edition next week, which will be the last until the struggle for power resolves itself.

As of last October, the paper was losing about $8000 per month. In the last two months, however, circulation has doubled to about 50,000, and insiders believe The Phoenix will soon be breaking even if operations continue.