Teen-Ager Shot and Killed On Mount Auburn Street

By M. DAVID Landau

A teen-age youth was shot and killed on Mt. Auburn St. late last night. He and his assailant were both visitors at Sanctuary, a counselling service for street people.

The victim-a frequent visitor of Sanctuary-was described by counsellors at Sanctuary as 18 or 19 years old. A "traveler" who was said to have come from Indiana, he was known only by the name of "Stevie Wonder."

The murder, according to an eyewitness account, occurred on the sidewalk outside Morgan Memorial Store at about 11:35 p.m. when the youth attempted to prevent a young woman from being molested by the assailant, who was described as being black, 6' 1", and about 22 years old. He allegedly carried two 44-calibre pistols and was wearing a brown hat, an army p-jacket, and bell-bottom dungaree pants.

After approaching the assailant and asking him to stop molesting the woman, the youth was shot once in the chest. He, was pronounced dead on arrival at Cambridge City Hospital at 11:40 p.m.

Sanctuary counsellors said that the assailant had entered Sanctuary early in the evening and had drunk about two quarts of apple wine on the stoop in front of Sanctuary before molesting the girl. After the killing, Cambridge police officers allegedly took four wine bottles to the police station for examination.

The counsellors at Sanctuary added that last night was the first time they had seen the assailant. "If we had known that he had guns," one counsellor said, "we would have thrown him right out."

Early this morning, Cambridge police were questioning several eyewitnesses to the killing inside and outside Sanetuary. Few would talk. "It wouldn't matter if I told you anything anyway." one eyewitness said.

City police said early this morning that the assailant was still at large and presumably armed. Several streets in the area of Dunster and Mather Houses-including Bank and Copperwaite Sts.-were cordoned by police in an effort to block the assailant's escape.

Cambridge police radio carried a bulletin saying that a man fitting the description of the assailant had boarded a Mass Ave. bus after the killing.

Harvard University police reported early this morning, however, that their foot patrolmen in the area of Dunster and Mather House had been requested to aid Cambridge police in their search for the killer.

Cambridge officers-some with dogs on leashes-continued this morning to patrol the Sanctuary area.