Women Plan Graduation Protest

By Katharine L. Day

Over 90 per cent of the Radcliffe seniors/who have picked up their caps and gowns so far will also wear red and white silkscreenings of the women's biological symbol as part of a Commencement protest demanding equal admissions to Harvard.

The silkscreenings-the women's symbol and an equals sign or equals sign and fist-will be pinned to the backs of the women's academic gowns. The demonstration, according to organizers, will be peaceful.

An additional 800 to 1000 sympathizers-graduating men, parents, faculty, and others-will be wearing white armbands with red equals signs in support.

"We are at issue with the current admissions policy, which imposes an unfair and rigid quota of one woman per four men. Harvard could easily achieve an approximate one-to-one ratio over the next four years," one Radcliffe senior said yesterday.

There will also be a table on Class Day and Commencement Day, located in the Widener-Emerson corner of the Yard, where the armbands will be available.

There will also be a petition at the table, demanding equal admissions at Harvard and also calling upon President designate Derek C. Bok and the Corporation to implement that goal. The women hope to gather several hundred signatures on the petition. They plan to distribute a leaflet to people attending Commencement, which will explain why the students and their supporters are demonstrating.

According to one of the demonstration's organizers, the idea for the protest grew out of an informal lunch conversation. "It's been lots of work, but I think it will be worth it. With so many people participating, we will be making a strong statement for equality," she said.