Med School, MIT Assign Dual Post To Irving London

The dean of the Medical School and the provost of MIT recently announced the first dual appointment made between the two universities.

Dr. Irving M. London '39, became the new professor of Medicine at the Medical School. He is also professor of Biology at MIT.

London is the director of a program to coordinate common research projects at Harvard and MIT in the area of health sciences and technology. London will continue his work as director of the program in which 50 students from the two schools are now involved.

Walter A. Rosenblith, MIT provost, last week called London "one of the most outstanding figures in medicine today."

London has worked as a research scientist in hematology and a practicing physician, as well as teaching at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, where he is a visiting professor. He is also currently a physician at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston.

London's salary will be shared by both universities. Rosenblith said that the dual appointment reflects the close relationship between Harvard and MIT medical research.