Football Team Favored Over Pennsylvania Today

Bellizeare, Clune Pose Threat To Improved Harvard Defense

By Evan W. Thomas

Harvard's football team moves into the gravy part of the schedule today against Pennsylvania. Although Harvard teams always have the capacity to lose to any given team on any given day, the prospect of any Ivy League title should keep the Crimson from blowing the game.

Penn has a winning record, but so far the Quakers have only faced the dregs of the League, with the exception of Cornell, and two local dogs Penn's potentially high scoring offense unloaded on Lafayette, 55-12 in the opener, but a week later the Quakers earned the distinction as the first team to lose to Brown in over two years.

Penn Scared Cornell

Penn gave Cornell a scare coming back from a 17-0 deficit to lead 20-17 before giving up a last minute Cornell touchdown and slipped by Lehigh 30-27. Then last week, the Quakers woke up in the second half to edge probably the worst Princeton team in a decade, 15-10.

Penn's offense should score against Harvard Last year Penn's. All-Ivy receiver Don Clune erased league records against the Harvard secondary with three touchdowns and 284 yards Harvard coach Joe Restic will use double coverage against Clune for most of the game but he is equally worried about Penn's sophomore halfback Adolph Bellizeare Ballizeare who has gained 433 yards in five games will give the Crimson's defensive ends a hard time with his outside running. He is also a good receiver, and if he can beat Harvard's linebackers coming out of the backfield for a pass. Restic will be forced to concentrate the coverage a little less on Clune and more on Bellizeare.

Three QBs

Penn has three quarterbacks Gary Shue, Marc Mandel, and Tom Pinto--who can throw the ball adequately. But none of them has shown the ability to consistently move the team. Pinto had such a poor academic record in high school that he was told not even to apply to Harvard a slight that he has announced he intends to avenge. Halfback Bellizeare was also discouraged from applying to Harvard.

Penn may well burn Harvard's defense where its most vulnerable--on kick coverage Bellizeare and Steve Solow are perhaps the best one two punch kick return team in the League.

Offensively Harvard should roll Penn's 1971 defense the worst in the League returned virtually intact this year and they're almost as bad as they used to be.

Penn plays its defensive backs deep and blitzes the corner back into the flow of any outside play hoping either to nail the sweep of overwhelm the option passer before he can get rid of the ball. Thus calls for a good short passer reading quickly and throwing into the flat which means that Crone may finally he relegated to the bench. Restic quarterback during the week but he has been saving You're going to see mute of Jimmy Stockel a little more emphatically this week.

Four Ends

Restic's latest treat for the fans will be a set that uses four ends--John Hagerty, Jeff Bone, Bill Craven and Pat McInally--and only one running back. On one play all four run eight yard book any to exploit Penn's deep set secondary.

Injuries should not be a big problem for Harvard All Ivy end Mitch Berger went under the knife this week and adjuster Steve Golden will miss another game, but their replacements. Fred Smith and Bert Broyer, have both played very well. The offensive line is hurting a little. Guard Doug Crim will not play, and tackles Bill Ferry and Tim Manna have been bothered by minor injuries and sickness. When the Crimson asked Restic what he'd do if any more guards were hurt, he replied, "I'm going to come up to the press box and get you."