Rosenblatt to Join Foundation, Will Leave Harvard in June

Roger Rosenblatt, Master of Dunster House, announced last night that he will leave Harvard in June in order to assume an executive position with the National Endowment for the Humanities in Washington.

Dean Dunlop said last night that a new Master will be selected by President Bok.

Rosenblatt announced his planned resignation in a letter distributed last night to all members of Dunster House. In the letter, he asked students for their advice, in finding a new Master. He said he would communicate their recommendations to President Bok.

Rosenblatt will be a consultant to the National Endowment for the Humanities during the Spring term, while he is still at Harvard. On July 1 he will become director of the Division of Educational Programs at the Endowment.

The Endowment is a Federally-funded foundation that finances and promotes research in the humanities.

Rosenblatt is an assistant professor in the English Department. Earlier this term, the Department failed to promote him, which would have been a necessary step on the road to gaining tenure.

He said last night, that the Endowment had first approached him about a job in Washington last October, before the English Department reached its decision. He added that the Department's decision was not a main factor in his decision to take a job with the Endowment.

Rosenblatt said that he will be sorry to leave Dunster House, but that he will approach his new job "with enthusiasm."

He said that he hopes his successor as Master will hold that position for several years, in order to become acquainted with the students. The mastership of Dunster House has changed hands four times in the last four years.

Rosenblatt first came to Dunster House in 1967, as senior tutor. In 1970 he was appointed Master. He was on leave last year, writing under a fellowship sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.