Protesters Ask Angola Reparations

By Paul S.koffsky

Forty demonstrators at Massachusetts Hall demanded yesterday that Harvard make reparations to the Angolan people proportional to its profits on Gulf stock since 1961.

The demonstration, sponsored by the Harvard-Radcliffe Liberation Alliance and the Harvard- Radcliffe New American Movement, also supported the Pan-African Liberation Committee's demand that the Corporation sell its stock in Gulf Oil to protest Gulf's investments in Portuguese-controlled Angola, Further, the demonstrators asked the University to discuss uses for the proceeds from the sale of the stock with the City Council and Cambridge community groups.

The Corporation will reach a decision on Harvard's Gulf stock "early next week," Stephen B.Farber '63, special assistant to President Bok, said yesterday. The protestors had earlier attempted to enter Massachusetts Hall to present Farber with a copy of their demands, but were locked out of the building. A University policeman then carried the list to Farber.

President Bok will not make a formal recommendation to the corporation on disposition of the stock, Farber said, "The members of the Corporation-of which Bok is a member-make decisions together," he said.

Farber said he did not know if Harvard will emulate Yale's newly-announced policy of social activism in voting its policy of abstaining on shareholder proposals concerned with non-financial matters.

"You have to make judgments on specific cases. The Yale policy can be understood only when specific decisions are made, "Farber said, "Specific decisions are the only real test of an investment policy, "he added.