The Papal Bull

By Eric Pope

Two years ago the Harvard soccer team beat Hartwick, 1-0, in the NCAA quarter-finals and earned the right to play against St. Louis, the defending national champions, out in San Jose, California.

Overjoyed to be in California, and overawed by the prospect of competing with the top-ranked team in the country, the Harvard players entered the match with feelings of gratitude rather than determination.

"It wasn't until the second half that we realized that we were as good as they were, if not better," senior Chris Wilmot said, "and by then it was too late to gain momentum."

St. Louis won the game, 2-1 with a goal in the last three minutes and then went on to an easy victory in the finals.

Better Prepared

But when Harvard travels down to Miami, Florida to face Howard in the semi-finals later this month, the team will be much better prepared for the task ahead of them. The 4-1 victory over Hartwick last Saturday was satisfying in itself, but the players still regarded it as only another step towards the goal for which they have been working all season--the national championship. Howard will be a much greater challenge than Hartwick was, and if the team can get past the semi-final match, they will be that much more prepared for the final test against St. Louis.

Seven Seniors

The seven seniors who form the nucleus of the team were out in San Jose two years ago, and they know that the St. Louis Billikens aren't infallible.

The national reputation of its forward line is one of Harvard's advantages. Solomon Gomez and Peter Bogovitch are gone from the 1969 team, but captain Charlie Thomas and Phil Kydes keep the tradition very much alive, while Felix Adedeji and Chris Papagianis are worthy replacements.

Two years ago close coverage on Gomez and Thomas more or less neutralized Harvard's offense, but this year such tactics play right into the Crimson game plan. The main purpose of the "overload" offense is to isolate a wing on one defender; double coverage makes it that much easier.

Experience

Thomas and Kydes have the experience needed to pick a defense apart, and they should have no trouble in setting up the two wings. And Adedeji presents the opposition with an unknown factor. As a top scorer on the 1968 Nigerian Olympic team at the age of 16, Adedeji should feel very much at home under the pressure of a national championship match.

Romping Over Penn

After the 8-0 romp over Penn State, Howard's forwards appear to be equally explosive, but they like to move the ball straight up the middle with short passes, and they will be testing Harvard's defense where it is the strongest. Sophomore Brian Fearnett is the cutting edge of the "diamond" fullback formation, and he is backed up by Wilmot.

It is more than likely that both Howard and St. Louis will be forced out to the wings and into the type of game which Harvard has been playing all season.

Strong Midfield

At midfield the Crimson will be stronger than they've been since early October. With three weeks rest behind them Norie Harrower and Emanuel Ekama will be fully recovered from their injuries, and Russ Bell's leg cramp should loosen up in the Florida sunshine.

Another strength, which has been hidden during the course of the season, is goalie Shep Messing. After playing for the United States Olympic team this summer, Messing has not been tested during the regular season, and the improved caliber of play down at Miami should bring out the best in him.

The same is true of the team as a whole. Harvard's game is geared to play against the best teams in the country, and if the performance against Hartwick is any indication, the team will peak with a victory over St. Louis in the national finals.