Batmen Play at B.C. Today; Crimson Near League Crown

By Eric Pope

The Harvard baseball team will play a GBL game at Boston College today at 4 p.m., before moving into the final three and possibly four games of the EIBL season over the weekend.

Harvard is presently in first place in the GBL with a record of 4-0. Northeastern is in second place with a 4-1 mark, and even if the Crimson should lose today's game, it can clinch the title by winning the game against the Huskies which has been rescheduled for next Thursday.

Tom O'Neill will make his first start since the southern trip. O'Neill, a sophomore lefthander with a record of 2-0, has been used mainly in relief so far this season. Last Saturday he came in to retire the sider after Cornell had scored six runs to win, 14-8.

The subway series between the Eagles and the Crimson has always been hotly contested, but this year baseball at B.C. has fallen on evil days. Two years ago the Eagles won the GBL, but slipped to a 12-12 record last year. Yesterday's 10-2 loss to UConn brought the low-flying Eagles down to 5-11.

"We're usually pretty tough to beat, but not this year." B.C. coach Eddie Pellegrini said. "Everything has been a problem for us--hitting, fielding, pitching, you name it.

Everything we do seems to be wrong. If we make an error, the next batter up hits a home run. Last week we were playing a real good game against Providence in the fifth. Our second baseman dropped a pop fly, and before I knew it, the score was 11-0," he said.

There have been some bright spots, however. The Eagles' 2-4-1 GBL record includes an impressive 1-1 tie against Al Dopfel of MIT, and they beat Dartmouth, 8-5. Today's starter will be freshman Bill Ruane, a relief pitcher whose only win this season came against Holy Cross.

On Friday Roz Brayton will pitch at Brown, and Saturday the Crimson will travel to New Haven for a doubleheader against Yale.