Crimson Nine Could Win Championship Today

By Eric Pope

The Greater Boston League baseball title is on the line today when Harvard hosts Northeastern at Soldiers Field at 3 p.m.

The Huskies are 6-1 in GBL games, and the Crimson, with a record of 4-1, can win the championship by percentage points with a victory. This will be Harvard's last GBL game, while Northeastern has one more against Brandeis.

Sandy Weissant will be on the mound for the Crimson. The Huskies are going with Mark Whittemore, who is 4-2 with an E.R.A. of 2.69.

Weissant is 6-0 on the season, and his last outing was an impressive three-hitter against Yale in which only one Eli managed to get past second base. Weissant's E.R.A. is just under 1.50.

The Huskies are as strong as they've been in years, and with a record of 14-4, they still have a chance to make the NCAA Division I play-offs as an independent. Northeastern had a twelve-game winning streak going until Tuesday when they were held to three hits in losing to Springfield, 2-0.

Northeastern's leading hitter is center fielder Tom Rizzuti, a little All-American safety who bats cleanup. In a game against B.U., Rizzuti hit a home run into the left field nets at Fenway Park, and with a .390 average, he has attracted the attention of nine major league scouts.

Steve Giambianco, who was the All-New England shortstop last year, is also a .300 hitter.

The Huskies' greatest strength has been their pitching. The team E.R.A. is 1.41, and if the Crimson manages to knock out Whittemore, it will have to face Steve Umbro, who gave up his first two earned runs of the season last week against Tufts.

After Northeastern, Harvard faces Springfield on Saturday, and on Sunday meets Cornell in a showdown for the Eastern League championship at Princeton. Junior Roz Brayton will start for Harvard.

"We've been developing as the year has progressed, and the team has jelled at just the right time," coach Loyal Park said. "All of our pitchers have gotten some work during the past week, and that should help us in these next few games."

Park is especially pleased with the balanced attack which is reflected in the even distribution of runs batted in. Hal Smith leads the team with 18, Tim Bilodeau is second with 17, and Vince McGugan, Jim Stoekel and captain Mike Thomas are all tied with 16.

Toby Harvey has knocked in 14 runs. Larry Barbiaux 13, and Kevin Hampe 11.