Booters Host Wesleyan in Key Game; Kidder and Fearnett Join Injury List

By Charles B. Straus

The Harvard soccer team, weakened considerably by key injuries to starting goalie and captain Steve Kidder, fullback Brian Fearnett and forward Felix Adedeji, faces its first major test of the season today at 3 p.m. when it hosts a strong, scrappy Wesleyan squad.

All three players are doubtful starters in a game which will probably indicate more about the Crimson's chances the rest of the Fall than did two unimpressive shutout victories against MIT and the University of Dublin freshmen last week.

But injuries have considerably clouded an already fuzzy Harvard soccer picture. Adedeji, whose twisted left knee has responded somewhat after a week's rest, could risk playing today, but head coach Bruce Munro may hold him out in hopes of a complete recovery by the Columbia game 10 days from today.

Kidder, who made several spectacular saves on Saturday, injured his back on a leaping save midway through the second half but finished out the game. He has not practiced all week and is experiencing considerable lower back pain, which has required a brace. "I'll try it tomorrow and see how it feels," Kidder said yesterday, but it seems doubtful he will risk a more serious injury by playing.

If he is unable to start, Kidder's place will be taken by Ben Bryant, an inexperienced junior up from the JVs. The loss of Kidder in the nets could be fatal this afternoon, especially when one takes into account the Crimson's scoring problems thus far and the fact that Wesleyan should test the Harvard defense considerably more than did MIT and Dublin.

Defenses in Shambles

As if the loss of Kidder was not enough, Brian Fearnett, who solidifies the fourman defensive line from his center fullback slot, sustained a pulled groin Saturday and will not play.

Thus the Harvard defense, which has carried the team so far and will be counted on heavily in the weeks to come, is for the moment in a shambles.

As for Wesleyan, their team returns virtually intact, and given Harvard's injuries and inexperience, should be favorites today. "They play a fast, physically demanding game," said assistant coach Ric Scott. "We are going to have to be in a lot better shape than we've been before," he added.

Standstill

Wesleyan was without its top scorer when it played the Crimson to a virtual standstill last Fall before losing 2-1, and is a typical small college team, not blessed with abundant talent but well-drilled and aggressive. Unless Harvard can generate some offense of its own, Wesleyan will be in the Crimson end all afternoon.

Offensively, Harvard will be strengthened by the availability of Jean- Pierre Gilbert as the Luxem bourg native finally won eligibility from the ECAC and NCAA over the weekend. Gilbert, a qualified soccer coach in this country, played midfield in Saturday's exhibition against the University of Dublin, but will move to forward today.

Joining him on the front line will probably be Art Fadden and Steve Hines, the latter after scoring a goal and playing well on Saturday. Bassey Ate, who sat out two years with a severely damaged knee, has reinjured the knee and will not play.