Cheap Trills

The Kirkland House Music Series Kirkland House Junior Common Room

By Peter Y. Solmssen

THE KIRKLAND HOUSE Music Society is importing ringers--making their concerts of chamber music the best 99-cent bargain in town. Friday's program of Brahms, Hindemith, and Chopin had all the excitement of fine chamber music played by professionals.

Brahms's Sonata Number One in G. for violin and piano (op. 78) was played by two Kirkland House alumni who have since gone on to musical careers, James Buswell '70, violinist, and Seth Carlin '69, pianist, played a superbly controlled rendition of the emotion-packed Sonata in G. Both tended towards exaggerated body movements, Buswell panting and rising to his toes with crescendos, and Carlin bouncing his hands all over the keyboard, but the visual did not adversely affect the aural. The piece is prone to cloying over-interpretation, but Buswell and Carlin kept their music disciplined and precise with beautiful results.

The Hindemith Sonata for Violin and Piano (Op. 11, no. 4) was the standout of the evening. The sonata is an exciting work, and it is especially difficult because of passages which require extremely exact timing. Seth Carlin returned to the piano to accompany Marcus Thompson, whose Julliard training showed in his solid command of the difficult piece. Many people find Hindemith difficult to listen to (the Nazis expelled him from Germany as "a musical Bolshevik."), but the Sonata for Viola and Piano reflects Hindemith's deep regard for the tonal qualities of the viola, expressing the melodic and emotionally moving potential of the instrument.

CHOPIN's Sonata in G for Cello and Piano (op. 65) is the single piece of chamber music to reflect his capabilities. Madeline Foley's performance began in elegant style, but early in the first movement her fingers cramped up, marring her usual precision. She continued, but with painful results. Mlle. Foley was obviously upset with her performance, but it is a credit to her that she continued at all.

Buswell, Thompson, and Foley will be back in the next Kirkland House presentation on Thursday. For 99 cents you can't beat them.