Golfers Finish Ninth in Eastern Meet

Meet Dartmouth Today

By M. DEACON Dake

The Harvard varsity golf team, which finished a disappointing ninth in the Eastern Intercollegiate Golf Association championships Saturday at Penn State, hopes to rebound today against Dartmouth at The Country Club in Brookline.

Crimson shooter Art Burke was the highest Harvard finisher in the Easterns as he placed 13th with a 36-hole total of 156. This was only eight shots off the pace recorded by medalist Dan O'Neill of Penn State, whom Burke trailed by only one stroke after firing an opening round 77 Friday.

The Nittany Lions posted a team total of 615 as compared to the Crimson's 647 combined total to grab the title in the 21-team field. Penn State easily outdistanced second place Princeton whose squad tallied a 624 final addition. Penn was third at 629, just nudging out Lehigh who recorded a 630 net. Rutgers came in fifth at 633, while Army and Columbia tied for sixth, one shot back at 634.

Yale, Harvard's opponent along with second place Princeton this weekend in the Big Three meet, topped the Crimson to place eighth with a 643 total.

Harvard's record is 7-3 going into today's match with the Big Green, but the results of the Easterns were disappointing for coach Bob Harrison's squad, which finished behind two Ivy teams it had already beaten this year--Penn and Columbia.

Ed Berry was the second man for Harvard as he finished behind Burke with a 160. Quinn Smith posted a 161, while Steve McConnel and Tom Yellin notched a 170 and 174 respectively.

The Big Three meet will mark the close of the season for the Harvard golfers.