The Harvard Bulletin: A June sampler

Watergate: What faculty members say.

"I wouldn't mind Agnew as President. I also probably wouldn't mind if Nixon were impeached....The Watergate affair will probably drag on, with a decline of confidence in the Administration and with a guerrilla war between Congress and the Administration....Watergate is oddly different from other scandals in the past. There is little evidence of venality....The point, which is really a question, is whether our culture sustains any shared values too sacred to be compromised -- any shared standards of behavior, violations of which simply will not be tolerated.

From a news story on faculty opinion, quoting Professors Samuel Beer, William Schneider, Ernest May, James Q. Wilson, Raoul Berger, Graham T. Allison Jr., and others.

Watergate: What students say.

Jamie Galbraith thinks that the Watergate scandal is not a major crisis, but a major rehabilitation. Beryl Ikeda says that McGovern would never do something like Watergate. Julius Kearney has felt for a year that Nixon gave his approval to the bugging of Democratic headquarters. Doug Schoen thinks that Nixon knew what was going on, and that Jeb Magruder said as much in a speech at the Institute of Politics. Wally Schwartz points out that there are still millions of people left who are proud to be Republicans.

From Career objective: Politician, by Michael Bernick '74, which shows that Watergate has had no dampening effect on the aspirations of five of Harvard's best and brightest.

Kilson on blacks

The sharp differentiation of Negroes as a sub-community within white Harvard, and the gnawing ambivalence of loyalty experienced by Negro students who feel forced to choose between their differentiated black sub-community and Harvard in general, have combined to have a nearly disastrous impact on the academic achievement and intellectual growth of Negro students.

From Blacks at Harvard: Solutions and prospects, by Martin Kilson, Ph.D. '59, professor of government.

Blacks on Kilson.

In his haste to play the role of the omniscient Negro scholar, the professor has descended to a level of reportage suggestive of the grossest kind of journalistic and scientific irresponsibility. ...He genuinely believes, it seems, that there is no significance in cultural blackness unless it apes or imitates white cultural norms every step of the way....There is a chauvinism in these beliefs that is both obvious and despicable.

From Kilson's contentions: A reply, by black students and a faculty member.

"Where are you likely to spend eternity?"

The test of a good counter-questionnaire is the individuality of the answers that it elicits - first prize going to the lady who answered the question, "Where are you likely to spend eternity?" with the simple statement of despair: "In Worcester."

From an article by Adam Yarmolinsky '43, reporting the results of his own investigations into the attitudes of classmates and others.

"In very capable hands."

One has only to look at those hands: enormously large and elongated, and so full of flexion folds as to be a palmist's nirvana. Tricassus Mantuanus, Melampus of Alexandria, John de Indagine - those late-medieval heavies of palmistry would have gone bananas over Satch Sanders' hands....The vertical line from the wrist to the base of the middle finger is the line of fortune, and to an expert chiromancer like Tricassus, that line would probably say it all....Harlem to Harvard.

From a profile of Thomas E. Sanders, former Boston Celtics star and the new head basketball coach at Harvard.

Man and God at Harvard

Within the University are represented Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, the Divine Light Mission, the Process, agnosticism, atheism, and religious apathy. The Committee on the Future of Memorial Church has begun to consider the University's response to that diversity. It is a consideration that deserves far more public attention than it has received.

From "The Undergraduate" column by David Cohen '74.

Jack Schmitt, the man from the moon.

Schmitt is a good-natured fellow, outgoing and quick to laugh, with a handshake untouched by the chill of outer space. He has black hair, brown eyes, a reported weight of 165 pounds, and - according to biographical data distributed by NASA - a height of 5 feet 9 inches. The Bulletin's man, at 5 feet 9 1/2 inches, had the sensation of being significantly taller than Schmitt; thought at the time that Schmitt's below-average height undoubtedly came in handy in space capsules; and on the strength of this can confidently report that when it comes to height, NASA lies.

Harvard's astronaut-geologist came to town to talk about moon rocks and the earth, and the Bulletin was there.