J.V. Heavyweights Victorious In Royal Henley Crew Regatta

By William H. Reynolds

Harvard's junior varsity crew swept to an easy victory Saturday to bring home the Ladies Challenge Cup from the historic Royal Henley Regatta, at Henley, England. The J.V.s led all the way down the course defeating the defending trophy holders from the Netherlands, Laga Delftsche, by 2 3/4 lengths.

The Ladies Challenge Cup is second in importance and prestige to the Grand Challenge Cup which was won for the second year in a row by a powerful Russian crew. The Russian crew defeated the Huskies of Northeastern by a margin of 2-2/3 lengths at the finish. Despite that defeat however, this year's Henley Regatta was the most successful for the U.S. in a decade as seven American crews reached the finals with four victories.

Since Harry Parker took over the coaching responsibilities at Newel Boathouse and began to immortalize the ergometers 11 years ago, Harvard crews have become a force to be reckoned with in international competition. This year's J.V. crew has proved to be no exception. The eight, stroked by junior John "Woody" Canaday, was manned by the same personnel that won the Eastern Sprint Championship in May. At the Nottingham Regatta, held in late June, and at the Henley Finals, the powerful J.V. eight proved their worth.

Rowing in a stiff crosswind, Parker's unit led all the way defeating the Dutch crew by 2 3/4 lengths and covering the one-mile 550 meter course in 6:35. Third in the event was a strong eight from Wisconsin.

On Saturday, June 30, the Parker's J.V. crew finished first in the consolation heat of the first Holmes Pierrepont Regatta in Nottingham, England. Earlier, after a disappointing row in the qualifying heat round the J.V.s finished behind varsity heavyweight crews from Washington and Northeastern. In the finals of the consolation, however, the boat bounded back winning easily.

Princeton's lightweight eight won a tough race over England's Thames Tradesmen's Rowing Club in the final of the Thames Challenge Cup. The Tigers' winning time was 6:37.

Other U.S. victories were posted by the Northeastern University Rowing Assoc. four with coxswain which won at Nottingham in the Prince Philip Challenge Cup, and by a Potomac Boat Club pair in the Silver Goblets and Nickalls Cup Final.