Martin Peretz Is Considering Purchasing The New Republic

Martin H. Peretz, lecturer on Social Studies and master of South House, is considering buying The New Republic.

Peretz and Gilbert B. Harrison, owner and editor of the prestigious liberal weekly, have discussed the sale, but Peretz has not yet made a specific offer, Harrison said yesterday.

Harrison, who has been a friend of Peretz's since they both worked in the 1968 presidential campaign of former Sen. Eugene J. McCarthy, said that four people have approached him about buying the magazine and that he first discussed the matter with Peretz over a year ago.

Harrison said he has considered selling the magazine, but added, "Don't you consider everything?" He would not name the other three people who have expressed interest in buying it.

Washington sources yesterday estimated the likely sale price of The New Republic at between $1 and $2 million.

'Nothing Settled'

Peretz said before he left for Israel earlier this month that he has discussed the purchase with Harrison, but that "nothing has been settled."

Peretz is now on a one-year renewable contract as a lecturer, and his three-year mastership contract expires at the end of the 1974-75 academic year.

Sources speculated yesterday that if Peretz bought The New Republic, he would either work full-time for the magazine or divide his time between lecturing at Harvard and working on The New Republic.

Peretz is now on the editorial board of Dissent magazine and is a part owner of Washington Monthly. He is also former contributor to Ramparts magazine.

Peretz contributed heavily to the presidential campaigns of McCarthy and Sen. George S. McGovern (D.S.D.)

Peretz, who is independently wealthy, is head tutor of the Committee on Degrees in Social Studies and a research associate of the Institute of Politics.

He graduated from Brandeis University, and got his postgraduate degrees at Harvard, receiving his Ph:D. in 1966. Peretz was appointed master of South House in June 1972. His wife, Anne L. Peretz, is co-master.

New York Magazine reported this week that Jann Wenner, editor of Rolling Stone, is also interested in buying The New Republic.