Radcliffe Field Hockey Team Prepares for Season Opener

By Joy Horowitz

A change in the women's field hockey rule book coupled with an unusual mixture of talent and dedication promises to light up the Radcliffe field hockey team this fall.

According to coach Pippy O'Conner, the change in rules is intended to make a less defensive game out of field hockey and allow for more scoring during a game.

The change in rules for the upcoming season is twofold: first, fullbacks can essentially play in the halfback position due to a new "forward offside" rule; second, on penalty corners, the opposing forward line must go back to the 50-yard-line-rather than the 25 while the corner is being taken.

Newcomers

With only four varsity starters returning this season. O'Conner will be selecting the rest of the starting line-up from a host of newcomers and J.V. players before the team confronts Northeastern in what is guaranteed to be one of its toughest games of the season.

But what the team lacks in experience and numbers, it compensates for in dedication. Five members of the team participated in a grueling five-day field hockey camp over the summer in Vermont and began practices on the team's field by Watson Rink on September 17, a week before classes began.

"Since we started earlier this year, most of the girls are in better condition," O'Conner said yesterday. "We've worked harder this year and have had more scheduled practices."

O'Conner added, "I feel very optimistic about the upcoming season. We're not the most talented team now, but we have the potential to be. The girls are incredibly enthusiastic."

Practice sweats, equipment, and access to the Harvard trainers in Dillon Field House provided as a result of last year's athletic merger, are reasons for the team's enthusiasm.

"Ideally, there should be a separate place for us to be taped," team captain Barbie Matson said. "They're supposed to put up a partition. The trainers are very nice and the football players are less than enthusiastic about our presence. We certainly wouldn't want to bust up the mystique of Dillon Field House."

The team may not "bust up" Dillon, but it's sure to overcome its 4-6 record of last year, with Matson returning at goalie, Karen Linsley at inner, Nancy Sato at center half, Diana Finch at halfback, and what Matson describes as "the best looking team in 73 years."

The varsity is scheduled to play 11 Thursday afternoon games this season. The remaining game--against Yale--will be played at home on Saturday morning, November 25. Home games will be played against Northeastern, Brown, Wellesley, Pine Manor and Yale.