McInally Receives Bowl Game Feelers

League Hassles Possible

By Michael Messerschmidt

Pat McInally, Harvard's record-breaking pass receiver, stands an "excellent" chance of being invited to a post-season all-star contest "in the very near future," according to Coach Joe Restic.

Restic said yesterday that the selection committees for the various games are contacting coaches around the nation to inquire "just how good an athlete a certain player might be."

Restic said he has received feelers about his star end, adding that "we're selling him to the high heavens."

"We'd be very disappointed if he didn't get an invitation," Restic added.

A Choice

Ivy League rules restrict members to one post-season competition, so on the surface at least, McInally would have to choose if he receives offers from more than one selection committee.

However, in the only recent Ivy League precedent, Cornell's All-American running back Ed Marinaro competed in both the East-West Shrine Game and the Hula Bowl after the 1971 college season.

Restic said that as far as he knows, McInally, a native Californian, is partial to playing in the East-West Shrine Game held in San Francisco in December.

McInally confirmed last night that he has received initial feelers from both the East-West contest and the Senior Bowl.

The East-West game is a benefit played by amateur collegians. However, in the Senior Bowl, the college athletes are paid $3000.

Whichever contest McInally chooses "must be amateur" according to the Ivy League.

Although the Senior Bowl is played after McInally's Harvard football career will have terminated, Restic said the lanky senior would probably not be able to compete due to "problems with the league."

The selection committee of the East-West game requires the prior approval of the athletic director of the player's school. McInally, however, said last night that there is some question regarding the need of such approval for the Senior Bowl.

No Controversy

Right now, however, McInally said he wants no part of any controversy. "The main thing is to win the next three games," he said.

Furthermore, he has yet to receive official notice that he has indeed been invited anywhere, he said.

The six-foot six-inch senior has hauled in 29 passes this season good for 460 yards and six touchdowns. He is only three receptions behind his mark a year ago, when he went on to set a Harvard seasonal record with 56 catches.

McInally's 91 career receptions are also tops in Harvard history.