Track Team Routs Eagles for Second Victory; Embree Clears 7'1", Sets Indoor Jump Mark

By Kurt J. Holland

The Crimson thinclads utilized their powerful field artillery Saturday afternoon, shooting down the Eagles of Boston College, 78-40, at Briggs Cage.

The Harvard field men notched 44 of a possible 54 points to propel the Crimson to its second triumph of the young season against no setbacks.

Evenly Matched

"The two teams were really pretty evenly matched," coach Bill McCurdy said after the meet. "But our strength in the field events was as expected and that made the difference."

Mel Embree supplied the biggest fireworks of the field day. He spearheaded a Harvard sweep in the high jump by soaring seven feet, one inch for an indoor Crimson record.

"I was very surprised with the jump," Embree said. "This place is like a swamp and I really wasn't jumping that well. In fact I almost missed at six-four. But I'll take it for an off day," he grinned.

The Crimson continued its field event dominance by snagging one-two finishes in the long jump and pole vault.

Dan Jiggets closed out the field rout with a winning heave in the 35-pound weight throw. He also picked up a third in the shot put.

The most exciting race was the two-mile run as Harvard clinched the meet behind Jim Keefe's win and freshman Stein Rafto's third-place finish. "It started out to be a nice comfortable run and then turned out to be the damnedest race," McCurdy said.