Cagers Clash With Minutemen Tonight

Crimson Seek Second Victory

By Kurt J. Holland

The Crimson cagers, confident after thrashing Springfield Monday, will seek their second triumph of the young season against Massachusetts tonight at the IAB.

Coach Tom Sanders and his band of sophomores are hoping to avenge the 74-65 defeat that Harvard hoopsters suffered last year at Amherst. "They played us tough last year," Sanders said yesterday. "But our sophomores are playing well and Lou Silver and Len Adams (co-captains) have been tough. We'll be ready for them."

Harvard's 83-70 victory over Springfield let UMass know that the Crimson won't be easy to push around this year. "I saw the game and Harvard looked tough," Minuteman coach Jack Leaman said. "They play an aggressive defense."

The tenacious Crimson defense hopes to smother an explosive Minuteman attack which has snatched up first-or second-place finishes in the Yankee Conference for the past five years.

But Massachusetts has been hit by graduation and the squad has split its two games this year. The Minutemen smashed Dartmouth, 83-61, before succumbing to North Carolina at Charlotte, 85-59.

Two returning starters, Bill Endicott and John Murphy, give Massachusetts a powerful scoring punch. Both averaged over 14 points last year, propelling the Minutemen to a 21-5 slate.

"Endicott is a tough left handed guard." Sanders said. "I think he is a pro prospect."

"And Murphy is an outstanding shooter for a big man," Sanders continued. "He stands 6ft. 8 in. and can hit from outside as well as go underneath. I'm not sure who is going to guard him."

Peach Fuzz

The other Minuteman starters are young and lack substantial game experience. At center, 6 ft. 7 in. sophomore Steve Mayfield will help Murphy clear the boards. Greg Duitt will play forward and Jim Burke will join Endicott in the backcourt.

"We've been disappointed so far," Leaman said. "But we are a young team and we think we'll get better as we go along. And Harvard is our next test."

The Crimson will be going with the same personnel and scrappy defense that defeated Springfield.

Stalwarts

Defensive stalwarts Adams and Silver will start at forward. Sophomore Brian Banks will continue at center, hoping to match his 23 point and 15 rebound performance of the Springfield game. Sophomores Jonas Honick and Dave Rogers will handle the initial backcourt chores.

Sanders will substitute frequently to take advantage of his effective bench. Arnie Needleman, Bill Carey, and Steve Sellinger should see plenty of action.

"Massachusetts is supposed to be a tough team," Sanders said. "But our preparation has not been much different. We go after all games with the same intensity."

Tonight's contest will be Harvard's first season encounter with a potentially strong ball club. The outcome will give Crimson fans the first good indication of the strength of Sanders's squad.