Movie Promoters Bill Wayne As 'Harvard Man of the Year'

By Carol P. Lurie

John Wayne was billed as "Harvard's Man of the Year" in a half-page advertisement for his new movie, "McQ," in Sunday's New York Times.

No Harvard organization has given Wayne such a title, although Wayne appeared at the Harvard Square Theater last month as a guest of the Harvard Lampoon, an undergraduate humor club.

"It's the promoter's prerogative," William F. Murphy '75 of the Lampoon, said yesterday. "We don't give such annual awards. We'd give a "man of the Century" or "Men of the Millenium" award, but it would be to a guy like Thomas Aquinas," he said.

The Hasty Pudding Club, which does give a "Harvard Man of the Year" award, has not yet announced this year's recipient.

Daniel Steiner '54, general counsel to the University, said yesterday that "it is not a serious concern, but we will do something about it."

Steiner said that the Harvard News Office would probably talk to the people who placed the advertisement, and will ask them to change the ad.

Wayne visted Harvard on January 15, and participated in a parade through Harvard Square, sponsored by the Lampoon. After the parade, Wayne and the Lampoon editors held a mock political debate at the movie theater.

A group of local U.S. Army reservists provided the vehicles, and made Wayne an honorary colonel. Pentagon officials later criticized their unauthorized action.

Warner Brothers, which is releasing "McQ," placed the advertisement. No spokesman for the company could be reached yesterday