Racquetmen Breeze Past Williams, 8-1

Freshmen Win, 9-0

By Stuart A. Sundlun

Undaunted by their first indoor match of the season, the varsity tennis team trounced Williams, 8-1, yesterday inside Chapman Rink in Williamstown. Williams moved the contest indoors after early morning rains dampened the outdoor courts.

In a tight match captain Ken Lindner beat the Williams number-one man Stuart Browne, 7-6, 5-7, 6-3. Lindner had trouble adapting to the court surface, which each spring is laid on top of the floor of the hockey rink. He won the first set after trailing, 3-4, in the tie-breaker.

Browne challenged Lindner in the second set with strong serves to his backhand and crisp volleys. However, Lindner easily won the third set. Harvard breezed through the number two, three and four matches as junior John Ingard vanquished Charles Einsiedler, 6-2, 6-2, and sophomore Gary Reiner routed Tom Koerner, 6-3, 6-1. Veteran junior Chip Baird defeated Jim Ware, 6-4, 6-2, in what Baird called a "blase match."

Freshman John Horn, playing in the number five slot, triumphed over Peter Talbert, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, in the toughest match of the day.

Tired

In the last singles match junior Hugh Hyde handed Brad Hearsh a 6-4, 6-3 defeat.

Tired of indoor hockey rinks, and intent on making an evening class, Lindner, who usually plays number-one doubles left for Cambridge after the singles' matches.

Horn joined Ingard in the first doubles contest but, in an extremely close contest, this new combination suffered Harvard's only loss of the day, 5-7, 6-7, to Browne and Einiedler.

In the number-two doubles match Baird and Reiner easily beat Ware and Talbert, 6-3, 6-4. Charles Kursen and Hyde struggled past Hearsh and David Tillman, 7-6, 6-7, 6-4.

Barnaby said that the Williams team was better than he had expected but that he was pleased with Harvard's performance.

Yesterday's match brings the racquetmen's overall record to 8-4. Their EITA record stands at 3-2.

After seven road matches the team returns home for two league contests this weekend. Friday the team will meet Army at 3 p.m. and Saturday they face Cornell at 2 p.m. on the courts across the river.